An updated handbook is on the market, titled “An introduction to forest operations and technology”.
The book, produced by Jori Uusitalo, is sure to be very popular with foresters around the world. Modern forest technology is covered, as well as the environment and operations in which it is used. It focuses on Nordic harvesting systems, but gives a good global perspective on harvesting systems and aspects facing logging foresters and contractors in general. The book is equally good for practising professionals and students. It makes use of clear language and good tables and figures. It has been translated from Finnish into English and proof read by respected forestry researchers.
The chapters covered include the following:
- Forests as a working environment and a source of raw material
- Timber sales and pre-harvest planning
- Timber harvesting
- Roundwood transport and reception at the mill
- Wood procurement planning and transport supervision
- Forest machine structure and function
- Forest technology research
- Forest road building and maintenance
- Silvicultural technology